Chambers & Partners 2018 – Ranked as leading individual in the TMT field
“He combines deep legal knowledge, especially about IT-related topics, with the ability to understand the business of his clients.” (source: Chambers & Partners 2018)
“Widely experienced problem-solver” (source: Legal 500 2018)
Huub de Jong (partner) has over fifteen years of experience in:
- Advising on legal aspects of complex technology issues.
- Drafting and reviewing of (inter)national contracts.
- Dispute resolution including litigation.
Huub uses his legal knowledge and experience in technology to support the strategic interests of his clients.
Admitted to the bar
Education & Work Experience
- Huub is Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe (CIPP/E). He has a postgraduate degree in Information Technology Law (‘Grotius’). He studied at the University of Tilburg, VU University Amsterdam and Utrecht University and studied both Information Technology Law and Criminal Law.
- In 1999 he started as an IT counsel at Deloitte in Amsterdam, after which he specialized as a lawyer since 2001 in information technology and intellectual property. He has advised many national and international clients e.g. in the telecoms, healthcare and IT/internet sector and also worked as an in-house lawyer for Shell and DTG (European Directories).
- Negotiations as key member of the deal team on behalf of an IT supplier for the provision of shared services and the global transition to the cloud, including reviewing contracts, privacy issues and the alignment with technical, commercial and operational aspects.
- Support to various organisations that use a so-called blacklist to ensure compliance with the upcoming privacy laws (General Data Protection Regulation).
- Solving a conflict between an IT services provider active in the health care industry and its subcontractor, including summary proceedings and settlement negotiations.
- Advising a provider of online platform about various aspects and disputes related to the protection of content (intellectual property), privacy issues and liability risks.
- Supporting a client during the implementation of a Wi-Fi network, including regulatory issues, privacy issues and the drafting of contracts.
Memberships & Other Functions
- Huub is an editor for the Journal for Internet Law (Tijdschrift voor Internetrecht) and he regularly writes articles as an expert. He is a guest lecturer e.g. at the VU University Amsterdam, Leiden University and the Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Huub is a board member of the Netherlands Association for Information Technology and Law (NVvIR) and a member of various other professional associations including ITechLaw, the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), the Netherlands Association of Computer Lawyers (VIRA), the Federation for Media and Communications Law (VMC) and the Association for Data Privacy Law (VPR).
- Huub is a board member of Professor Cobbenhagen Foundation (Friends of Cobbenhagen) a special alumni network of Tilburg University in which very involved and prominent alumni of the university are united. He is also co-founder of the carnival association Kaaj Kapot.
IT and internet law, data protection and privacy law, copyright and database law, contract law and telecommunications law.
Dutch and English